Vegan Spiced Black Bean, Kale & Squash Laksa by Avoca
Look no further for a comforting and delicious vegan recipe to welcome the autumn season. AVOCA’s spiced black bean, kale and squash Laksa is bursting with flavour, and pairs perfectly with rice or rice noodles and pickled cucumber.
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 red chilli chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece ginger thumb-sized, chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass chopped
- 5 lime leaves
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 100 ml rice wine vinegar
- 25 grams sugar
- 1 red chilli finely diced
- 10 grams poppy seeds
- 1 can cooked black beans drained
- 100 grams kale fresh, trimmed & washed
- 1 butternut squash peeled, diced & roasted
- 250 grams rice noodles of thick long rice noodles cooked & drained
- 1 lime juiced
- 400 ml coconut milk 1 can
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 20 grams cane sugar unrefined
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Toast the spices in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Let cool.
- In a food processor add the spices and the rest of the paste ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, add oil and sauté the curry paste for 5-8 minutes until aromatic. Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, sea salt and cane sugar and simmer for 10 minutes until all flavours come together.
- Add the vegetables and beans, mix well. Add lime juice and freshly chopped coriander. The sauce should be sweet, salty, sour and spicy. Bring the sauce back to the simmer and it’s ready!
- To each bowl, add rice noodles, pour the Laksa sauce and vegetables over and top with pickled cucumbers. Serve with an array of garnishes so everyone can make their own delicious styled meal.