Vegan Spiced Black Bean, Kale & Squash Laksa by Avoca
Look no further for a comforting and delicious vegan recipe to welcome the autumn season. AVOCA’s spiced black bean, kale and squash Laksa is bursting with flavour, and pairs perfectly with rice or rice noodles and pickled cucumber.
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 chopped red chilli
2 garlic cloves
1 thumb-sized chopped piece of ginger
2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
5 lime leaves
1 bunch fresh coriander
30 ml olive oil
1 thinly sliced cucumber
100 ml rice wine vinegar
25 grams caster sugar
1 red chilli, finely diced
10 grams poppy seeds
1 can cooked black beans, drained
100 grams fresh kale, trimmed & washed
1 butternut squash, peeled, diced & roasted
250 grams of thick long rice noodles, cooked & drained
1 lime, juiced
400 ml can coconut milk
500 ml vegetable stock
20 grams unrefined cane sugar
½ bunch fresh coriander
½ tsp sea salt
Garnishes to serve: Lime wedges, extra sliced chilli, fresh coriander, fresh mint, toasted coconut flakes, crushed salted peanuts, crispy tofu, beansprouts, toasted sesame seeds – the possibilities are endless!
- Toast the spices in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Let cool.
- In a food processor add the spices and the rest of the paste ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, add oil and sauté the curry paste for 5-8 minutes until aromatic. Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, sea salt and cane sugar and simmer for 10 minutes until all flavours come together.
- Add the vegetables and beans, mix well. Add lime juice and freshly chopped coriander. The sauce should be sweet, salty, sour and spicy. Bring the sauce back to the simmer and it’s ready!
- To each bowl, add rice noodles, pour the Laksa sauce and vegetables over and top with pickled cucumbers. Serve with an array of garnishes so everyone can make their own delicious styled meal.