Smores Cheesecake Recipe from Made in the USA Cookbook
This Smores Cheesecake Recipe is super-easy to make, dangerously delicious and seductively moreish.
If you grew up in the States and were a member of the Girl or Boy Scouts, s’mores would have been your bread and butter – or to put it more accurately – your graham crackers, toasted marshmallow and chocolate. S’mores are a campfire necessity. Their very name is a smooshing together of ‘some more’. Need I say s’more?
– 100g whole blanched hazelnuts
– 250g digestive biscuits
– Good grating of whole nutmeg
– 160g salted butter, melted
– 100g dark chocolate (minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids), broken into small chunks
– 500g full-fat cream cheese
– 60g icing sugar, sifted
– 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 300g Nutella
– 125g mini marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line the base of a loose-bottomed 23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Pour the hazelnuts into a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat until golden. Tip into a food processor with the biscuits and nutmeg and blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir the melted butter through the biscuit mix and tumble into the prepared cake tin, pressing firmly into the edges (I find a potato masher works brilliantly here).
4. Bake the base for 15 minutes, then leave to cool completely.
5. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of boiling water (don’t allow the base of the bowl to touch the water) then leave it to cool slightly.
6. Meanwhile, pop the cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla and Nutella in a bowl or freestanding mixer and beat together until smooth. You should want to jump right into that bowl and swim around devouring it all. If you don’t feel that urge, keep beating.
7. Pour in the melted chocolate, mixing constantly, then spoon the mixture on top of the biscuit base and smooth around the top.
8. Pop the cheesecake into the fridge to set for a minimum of 3 hours, although overnight is best.
9. Once set, arrange the marshmallows over the top and blowtorch until they are lightly scorched and take you back to nights in front of the campfire.
Taken from Made in the USA by Florence Cornish priced at £18.99. Published by Kyle Books. To buy your copy kylebooks.co.uk