This Leek and potato soup recipe couldn’t be simpler and it’s my kids favourite soup. They like it left chunky and brothy like in the photo, but it’s delicious blended smooth too.
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 leek
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 1 stock cube
- .5 a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- *optional extras – garlic celery, carrot, fresh herbs, a tin of chickpeas/white beans
- Sauté the green part of the leek (thinly sliced) in the oil/butter with diced potatoes until softening – about 8 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced paler part of the leek, optional extras like garlic, thyme, rosemary, diced celery or carrots etc and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add a stock cube and cover the vegetables with hot water.
- Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. Then either leave chunky or blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. I always like a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some freshly ground black pepper in my soup to brighten and lift the flavours.
- *Bulk it out and add some plant protein with a drained tin of chickpeas or white beans simmered into the soup.