Coole Swan & Orange Chocolate Truffles Recipe by Neven Maguire
The first secret to lovely chocolate truffles has nothing to do with what goes on in the kitchen – for beautiful truffles you have to have good quality chocolate. Lindt green and black is excellent and you can pick it up in most good shops. You can add in different liquors to the make the truffles – we use a lovely local liquor made in Cavan called Coole Swan. These truffles will keep for about three weeks and the covering can be anything you want from coconut or chopped nuts to anything you can imagine!
– 100ml cream
– 250g (9oz) plain chocolate, broken into squares (at least 70% cocoa solids)
– 25g butter
– 4 tbsp Coole Swan
– Zest of 1 orange
For The Coating:
– 225g (8oz) plain chocolate, broken into squares (at least 70% cocoa solids)
– Cocoa powder, for dusting
– Pistachio Nut Crumb
– Toasted Desiccated Coconut
1. Place the cream in a pan bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then whisk in the chocolate and butter until smooth and melted.
2. Stir in the Coole Swan and transfer to a bowl. Leave to cool completely, whisking every 20 minutes so that the butter will be evenly distributed. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and chill for 2–3 hours, until set firm, stirring occasionally to present a skin from forming.
3. When the mixture is cold and set, use a melon baller to scoop it into 1.75cm (3/4in) balls. Make sure to dip the melon baller in hot water to give the chocolate mixture a better shape. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with non-stick parchment paper.
4. To make the coating, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave. Leave to cool a little, then dip the truffles in the melted chocolate and quickly roll in the cocoa powder. Place in the fridge to set.
5. To serve, arrange the truffles on a plate to hand around to guests while they are enjoying their coffee.
These truffles will keep well in the fridge for up to 1 week in an airtight container. They can also be frozen very successfully, but should always be left at room temperature to thaw out completely.
Foodie Heaven from Neven
The MacNean Gift Card from Neven Maguire, award-winning chef of MacNean House and Restaurant in Blacklion, Co Cavan. The perfect Christmas gift for food lovers or for someone very special this Christmas, this Gift Card can be used across MacNean House & Restaurant, the Neven Maguire Cookery School, the new ‘Neven Maguire Hamper’, as well as Neven’s books and DVD collection.
A beautiful surprise for those who love great food, the Neven Maguire Hamper includes Neven’s new book ‘The Nation’s Favourite Healthy Food, MacNean Christmas Pudding, a delicious Ham Glaze, Jam, Marmalade, Fig & Cranberry Chutney, Mulled Wine Spice Mix, Coole Swan Chocolate Truffles and a flavoured Donegal Rapeseed Oil.
The MacNean Gift Card and the new ‘Neven Maguire Hamper’ are available from nevenmaguire.com or call 071-9853022.
Since Neven took over the family business in 2001, MacNean House & Restaurant has been consistently winning awards for its food, service, wine offer and overall dining experience. In addition to his Neven Maguire Cookery School, where Neven presents a range of exciting cookery classes for all skill levels, he has also launched his exclusive ‘The Chef’s Table’ dining experience. Hosted in the beautiful and private surrounds of his cookery school, Neven and his team cook in front of diners and present the restaurant’s acclaimed Tasting Menu. Accompanying wines are presented and served by the restaurant’s sommelier. Visit nevenmaguire.com for more information.