Sicilian Pizza (Sfincione) Recipe by Chef Jeeny Maltese
For the Dough:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of yeast
- 1 ¾ cups of warm water 30° to 40°
For the Toppings:
- 6 cloves of finely minced garlic mixed with 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of passata
- 250 g of shredded mozzarella
- 250 g fresh mozzarella
- Sliced cherry vine tomatoes
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 15-20 basil leaves
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Dough: Preheat the oven to 250C°.
- Add all the ingredients to a standing mixer with the hook attachment or to a clean surface. Mix until combined and knead in a mixer on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes or by hand for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Cover with a towel and let double in size, about 90 minutes.
- Next, drizzle some olive oil onto your sheet pan/deep baking tray that you will be cooking in, I used a 12”x18”x2” deep baking tray. If you have smaller ones, then divide the dough and make 2 pizzas or reserve the remaining dough in the freezer.
- Form the pizza dough to the sheet pan so that it is completely covered.
- Next, evenly spread on the garlic and olive mixture all over the pizza making sure to leave a 1” crust around the outside.
- Evenly spread on the tomato passata also leaving a 1” edge around the outside and then layer on as followed: shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, basil leaves, sea salt, and pepper.
- Cook the pizza for 12 to 14 minutes at 250C° or until browned and cooked throughout. Slice and serve!