Broccoli and spinach soup, served with cashel blue crumbs and a chive oil. This stunning looking recipe, has a fresh and vibrant colour, with great ingredients and deliciously creamy texture. A perfect lunch or dinner recipe to impress friends or a special someone at a dinner party.
– 20g of butter
– 1 Tbsp. of oil
– 1 large onion, diced
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 potato, around 230g
– 1 broccoli, around 300g
– 400g Baby spinach washed
– 300ml of vegetable stock
– Salt & black pepper
– 50ml pomace olive oil
– 50ml fresh cream
– 100g fresh chives
– 25g baby spinach
– olive oil
– 60g Cashel blue cheese, crumbled
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until soft and translucent.
2. Prepare other vegetables, chop the potato into chunks, trim and chop the broccoli.
3. When the onions are cooked, add the other vegetables to the pan, and mix well.
4. Add the vegetable stock and cover with a lid. Cook for around 20-25 minutes, stirring every now and then, until all the vegetables are very soft.
5. When the vegetables are ready add the spinach and use a hand blender to blend the soup until smooth.
6. Pass through the sieve then add the cream.
7. Season with a salt & black pepper to taste.
1. To make the oil, wash, trim and blanch the herbs in the boiling water for 30 seconds.
2. Refresh herbs in the icing water then chop roughly and mix with the olive oil. Add all to the blender and blitz for 5 minutes.
3. Pass the oil through a fine sieve. Transfer the herb oil to the container and keep in the fridge.
1. Serve soup hot. Drizzle with a bit of chive oil and topped with crumbled Cashel blue cheese.
Igor Cikarev is the executive head chef at The Gibson Hotel. A Russian native from Riga, Igor got his start in the Latvian capital and has continued to grow his experience over the years.
Stay up-to-date with all of the latest news from the gibson hotel here.