Turmeric, Thyme & Tomato with Red Onion Vegan Quiche Recipe by Joanne Wood
The vibrancy continues with this stunning show stopper of a tart, which doubles up as a nutritional powerhouse of a main course.
- 200 g buckwheat flour
- 150 g oats
- 100 g hazelnuts ground
- 40 g sesame seeds
- 100 g coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- 1 TBSP xylitol sugar alternative (available as Total Sweet)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 grind sea salt
- 1 block firm tofu 396g net weight, drain
- 150g gram flour
- 250ml water
- 1.5 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 30g cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp kala namak salt optional
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1 TBSP of turmeric
- a selection of your choice of tomatoes – enough to cover the surface of the quiche. I used 5-6 of different sizes. slice larger ones and halve the smaller ones
- 2 red onions sliced
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 TBSP sesame seeds
- Process the hazelnuts to a fine crumb texture in a food processor. You could sub the hazelnuts for almonds or ground almonds.
- Then pour the ground hazelnuts into a large bowl and add the buckwheat flour, oats, sesame seeds, gram flour and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil gently in a pan and add the xylitol. Gradually pour the melted mixture over the flour mixture and work quickly with a spoon to mix until you reach a crumb-like texture and no dry flour remains – scrape down the sides of the bowl until all ingredients are combined.
- Now, add the water and continue to stir and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the flan baking dish (my dish measures 35cm dia – adjust the quantity of the ingredients to suit your size of dish).
- Press the mixture flat and up the sides of the dish until evenly spread. Smooth out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the base blind (without the filling) in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven ready for the filling.
- While the base is baking in the oven. Wash out the food processor jug (if used from the hazelnuts). Add the drained tofu, gram flour, mustard, nutritional yeast flakes, kala namak salt (if using), garlic, turmeric and water.
Process until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the base and smooth out using the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Top with the sliced red onion and tomatoes, ensuring the topping is generous to provide maximum flavour per slice!
- Bake in the oven for a further 20-25mins until baked through and turning golden.
- Remove from the oven and add sprigs of fresh thyme, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a scattering of sesame seeds before serving.
Serve alone or with green salad leaves.