Spiced Moroccan Lentil Soup
This Moroccon lentil soup recipe is perfect for a cold February day. Slight heat from the spices and texture from the puy lentils make this a meal packed with nourishment.
- 175 g red lentils
- 55 g puy lentils
- olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion diced medium
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery diced stick
- ½ red pepper diced
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander ground
- pinch turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ red chilli deseeded and chopped fine
- 2 tsp ginger finely grated fresh
- 200 g tomatoes chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp coriander chopped fresh coriander
- sea salt
- Place the lentils in a large bowl and rinse several times in cold water to clean them.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and saute the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute and then add the ginger, chilli, ground coriander and cumin, turmeric and saute for a further minute.
- Add the carrot, celery, red pepper and tomato and stir. Place the washed lentils on top.
- Pour in 1½ litres of cold water, add a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the soup is cooked stir well, season with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped fresh coriander.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com