If you’re tempted by the packet of crisps you know is hiding at the back of the cupboard, reach for vegetables instead. You may not think they’ll satisfy the craving, but these bright, beautiful crisps taste incredible when baked. This root crisps recipe is also surprisingly quick and easy to whip up, too!
– 3-5 root vegetables, such as sweet potato, purple potato, white potato, carrot, parsnip, beetroot
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
– Flavour options such as 1 tsp dried mixed herbs, smoked paprika, dried chilli flakes, ground cumin, dried thyme, dried rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC/310ºF/gas 2½.
2. Using the slicing side of a box grater, finely slice all the vegetables. Alternatively, you can finely slice by hand or in a food processor.
3. Pat the vegetables dry on kitchen paper and add to a large bowl with the olive oil, salt and any flavourings you may like (see ingredients list for my favourites). Mix with your hands until evenly coated, then transfer onto baking sheets without overlapping.
4. Cook in the hot oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy. Some may cook quicker than others, so keep an eye on them. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Niomi Smart’s passion is healthy food and her most popular YouTube video series, What I Eat in a Day, inspires a global audience of millions to look, live and feel better. Now, for the first time, she has compiled all of her favourite recipes into a cookbook to show you the smart way to eat.
Already an online phenomenon, Niomi creates recipes for anyone who wants to feel amazing from the inside out, covering: breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, snacks, baked treats and drinks, she offers a really easy way to eat delicious, healthy food at every mealtime.
Eat Smart by Niomi Smart is available to buy here.
Niomi Smart Niomi Smart Niomi Smart