Pan Roasted Salmon Recipe with Caramelized Endive from California Wines
This Pan Roasted Salmon Recipe has a nice twist to it as it is served with caramelized endive. It is subtly bittersweet—and a perfect partner for tender crispy-skinned salmon filets. Pair with California Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.
– 2 tbsp unsalted butter
– 4 heads endive (about 1pound/450g), sliced in half lengthwise
– ½ cup California dry white wine
– 2 tsp granulated sugar
– Sea salt
– Freshly ground pepper
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tbsp minced chives
– 2 tsp minced garlic
– 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
– ½ tsp sea salt
– ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
– 4 salmon fillets, skin on
1. Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C)
2. Heat the butter in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until it begins to sizzle.
3. Add the endive and cook for 5 minutes on each side until evenly browned.
4. Mix the wine and sugar in a small bowl and add it to the pan.
5. Cook about 20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Cook the endive on medium heat for a few minutes longer, cut-side down, until caramelized.
6. Season endive with salt and pepper and keep warm over low heat while preparing the salmon.
7. To prepare the salmon, mix the olive oil, chives, garlic, lemon zest, and measured salt and pepper in a large bowl.
8. Add the salmon fillets and turn them to coat with the olive oil mixture.
9. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.
10. Add the fillets skin-side down and cook for 4 minutes.
11. Turn fillets skin-side up and place skillet in the pre-heated oven for 4 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and transfer the fillets to a serving platter.
– Arrange 2 endive halves and a fillet, skin-side down, on each plate.