The Perfect Roast Turkey By Avoca
- 1 x (6kg) fresh turkey
- 1 x large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 x lemon, halved
- 1 x white onion, quartered
- 1 x head garlic, halved crosswise
- 80g melted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out. Dry very well. Keep the giblets for the gravy if you wish.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting tin. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper in the inside of the turkey cavity. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, lemon, onion and the garlic. This will give a very fragrant taste to the meat.
- Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey. This prevents the legs and wings from burning and keeps the bird nice and plump.
- Roast the turkey for 2 1/2 hours, basting from time to time with the juices, until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh, or alternatively you can use a thermometer and when temperature reaches 165°F its ready to go.
- Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with foil; leave it to rest for 20-30 minutes. This is a very important step as this allows all the juices settle back into the meat.
- Carve your masterpiece and enjoy with all your festive trimmings!