Italian Meatballs Recipe with a Tomato And Basil Sauce from The Tiny Vegan Kitchen
This Italian Meatballs Recipe with A Tomato And Basil Sauce is from The Tiny Vegan Kitchen.
These bad boys really pack a flavour punch, perfect with pasta or on their own with some salad. They’re also super tasty served cold and would make a great lunch box snack for the little ones.
They hold their shape well so there’s no messing around and they cook easily. This recipe makes about 24 completely vegan meatballs that even your omni friends would be delighted to try and will come back for more.
Make a batch at the weekend and separate into portions for the freezer, you’ll be chuffed to ome home to this easy to prepare meal after a busy day.
– 1 large white onion, finely diced
– 4 cloves of garlic, grated
– 400g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned with a damp cloth and sliced
– 400g tin of black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 and 1/2 cups of porridge oats
– 2 tbsp of tomato puree
– 2 tbsp of ground flax seeds
– 1 tbsp of vegan worcestershire sauce
– 2 tsp of smoked paprika
– 1 tsp of hot paprika
– 1/4 cup of basil
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– 2 tbsp of oil and a little extra for cooking
Tomato and basil sauce
– Tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
– One onion, finely diced
– About a handful of basil (1/3 of a shop bought plant)
– Some Olive Oil for frying
– Some sugar (optional)
1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pan and place over a medium heat, add the onions and cook until translucent, remove and set aside. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the mushrooms. When they are almost done add the garlic and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile place the porridge oats into a food processor and whizz until you have a flour that’s as smooth as possible. Remove from the food processor and place in a bowl, add the beans and the other ingredients, including the onion and the mushrooms and mix well. If you have a very large food processor you can just add everything to it but mine is medium-sized and the mix is a little too big for it.
3. In separate batches of about 2 to 3 add the mix back into the food processor and blend until smooth, combine the batches all together in the bowl.
4. Using a tablespoon as a measure scoop up some of the mix and form into balls, you should get about 24. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Add a little oil to a pan and place the pan over a medium heat, add the meatballs and cook gently until they are warm all the way through and are browned nicely on the outside.
6. Add the sauce to the pan and serve with pasta or how you like.
Tomato and basil sauce
1. Add a little oil to a large pan and gently heat over a low flame. Add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
2. Add the tinned tomatoes and give it a good stir. Chop your basil and add to the pot. Have a little taste and add some sugar if needed.
3. Simmer on a low heat until the sauce becomes a beautiful, deep orange colour (approx 20mins). Using a hand blender give the sauce a good whizz until smooth (the large pan comes in handy here as it can get a tad messy). And that’s it! Yum! You can use straight away or freeze.
Tanya is a vegan food blogger who set up The Tiny Vegan Kitchen blog in 2015.
Since then she has expanded into hosting Supper Clubs and giving Cooking workshops from her home in Dublin.
Tanya’s recipes include vegan versions of her favourite wholesome foods and celebrate the array of ingredients that are available to us to create and enjoy delicious food.
She also loves a hearty meal and throughout her blog she calls on the cuisines of countries that she’s visited to provide the inspiration for some of her recipes.