Coffee and Spice Rubbed Steak with Refreshing Iced Tea by Siúcra and Gastro Gays
Coffee and Spice Rubbed Steak Ingredients
- 200 g sirloin steak per person
- 2 tbsp freshly-ground coffee
- 2 tbsp Siúcra Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp hot smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp each whole cumin seeds fennel seeds, mustard seeds, all freshly ground
- 1 tsp ground coriander or 1 tsp whole coriander seed, freshly ground
- Lots of fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- A little oil to fry
- Flaked sea salt to finish
Refreshing Iced Tea Ingredients
- 3 Black Tea Bags
- 1 l Boilding Water
- 2-3 tbsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Runny honey
- 1 tbsp Minced fresh ginger
- 1 Sliced lemon & orange
- Mint sprigs
Coffee and Spice Rubbed Steak Instructions
- Remove the steak from the fridge and any packaging, pat very dry and leave to one side.
- Combine all the spice rub mixture and sprinkle all over the steak, on both sides to ensure even coverage. If you have a small wire rack over a plate or dish you can use to refrigerate on it would be ideal, however if you don’t it’s fine to leave directly on a plate, uncovered as it marinades (to note: the steak will be a little wetter with this method).
- Allow to come to room temperature for 30-60 minutes before cooking.
- Heat your oven to 200ºC. On a heavy skillet on the hob, heated until smoking and kept at medium-high, pour in the oil and then introduce your steaks (one by one if using a small skillet) and allowing roughly two minutes a side, then removing to an ovenproof dish or tray and allowing 3-5 minutes until registering an internal temperature of 55ºC before removing covering loosely in foil and allowing 5-10 minute to rest. Medium rare is around 62-65ºC, and that’s how we like to serve it but you can use your own judgement.
Refreshing Iced Tea Instructions
- Boil your kettle and using a heatproof jug, pour the water over 3 tea bags. Stir in the sugar, honey and ginger.
- Allow roughly 7 minutes to brew. Then remove teabags (without straining, this leaves bitter tannins) and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Decent into a jug, jar or glass bottle using a funnel and sieve. Add lemon, orange and mint, then keep in the fridge until needed.
- Serve over ice with more citrus and mint to garnish.