This recipe combines potato cakes with poached eggs, grilled bacon and a tasty Mojo sauce to make a really good supper dish. The element of this dish that really sets it apart is the Mojo sauce (pronounced Moho) which originates from the Canary Islands. It works especially well with this dish but really this sauce is so good you will be having it with everything! Here’s Bord Bia’s Potato Cake Recipe.
Time: 1 hour
- 800g floury potatoes, peeled
- 30g butter
- 2 tablesp. milk
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 tablesp. parsley, chopped
- 2 teasp. whole grain mustard
- 10 streaky rashers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablesp. flour
- 1 tablesp. olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablesp. white wine vinegar
- 20g of coriander
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- ½ teasp. of ground cumin
- 4 tablesp. olive oil
- ½ tablesp. white wine vinegar
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 15–20 minutes until soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking put the butter, milk and scallions into a small saucepan and cook until the scallions have softened.
- Grill 2 of the rashers until crispy, then chop into small pieces.
- When the potatoes are cooked drain well and mash.
- Add in the warmed butter, milk and scallion mixture along with the parsley, mustard and rashers. Season with salt and black pepper. Leave to cool.
- When the mixture has cooled shape into 8 equal size rounds, chill in the fridge for half an hour.
- Place all Mojo Sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth.
- To poach the eggs, bring a large pan of water the boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and add the white wine vinegar and a little salt.
- Break two of the eggs into the water and simmer for 3-4 minutes until just cooked but still soft on the inside.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper. Repeat with the other two eggs.
- While the eggs are cooking take the potato cakes from the fridge and dust with a little flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the potato cakes in two batches and gently fry for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden.
- Meanwhile grill the remaining streaky rashers.
- Divide the potato cakes between four warmed plates. Add two rashers, a poached egg, a drizzle of the Mojo Sauce and a green salad.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
Potato Cake Recipe with Bacon, Eggs and Mojo Sauce by Bord Bia