Lobster Thermidor Style Recipe by Executive Head Chef Garry Hughes of The Shelbourne Hotel
The following Lobster Thermidor Style recipe with crushed Saffron Aioli potatoes was created by Executive Head Chef Garry Hughes of The Shelbourne Hotel.
– One lobster, poached in a court bouillon for 8 minutes. Remove from shell and large dice ( keep shell for garnish)
– 250ml shellfish bisque
– 3 egg yolks
– Two tbs Dijon mustard
– 150ml clarified butter
– 50g chopped tarragon and white wine vinegar
– 2 tbs whipped cream
– Splash of Brandy
– Two large baked potatoes
– Two shallots, finely sliced
– 100g shredded spinach
– Juice of half a lemon
– Two tsp garlic puree
– Pinch of saffron
– 100ml mayonnaise
– 50g butter
1. Bake your potatoes in a hot oven at 160 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until soft.
2. Remove skin, peel and dice potatoes in a little warm water.
3. Put your saffron to infuse and release the colour.
4. Add to mayonnaise, the garlic puree, 50 grammes of butter, the saffron liquid.
5. Then combine the potatoes, the shallots, the spinach, the saffron and mayonnaise that you have just made, put in a bowl and cover with Cling Film to keep warm.
6. Make a hollandaise with the clarified butter and egg yolks, tarragon and white wine vinegar.
7. For your Thermidor sauce, reduce the 250ml of bisque to half and cool, add in your mustard and hollandaise, finish with a splash of brandy and your whipped cream.
8. Fold in your lobster meat, then combine your lobster meat and thermidor sauce.
9. For assembly, put your potato mixture in a silver cutter, place on top of your lobster and Thermidor sauce and place underneath your grill until golden brown which should take 30 seconds.
The Shelbourne Hotel is a timeless landmark in the heart of Dublin, with luxurious guest rooms, an opulent Spa and Salon and a superb choice of restaurants and lounges, including the No. 27 Bar & Lounge, The Lords Mayors Lounge, The Horseshoe Bar and The Saddle Room Restaurant, a modern steak and seafood restaurant with a lavish oyster bar.
Created to inspire the senses with a classic, tempting menu, attentive service and the culinary team’s confident way with fine Irish ingredients, The Saddle Room, which was recently awarded the RAI Best Hotel Restaurant in Dublin 2017, offers two private dining rooms, perfect for hosting an intimate, entertaining dinner for up to 16 guests.