Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Aubergine Recipe by MyKitchenHeaven
My name is Malwina Bernady and I share my great food passion on social media as @mykitchenheaven_
My cooking style is quick and easy with no food waste. I cook everyday for my family making sure I pick the fresh and good quality food.
I love to try new recipes but often coming back to good old ones that makes everyone happy.
Pasta is definitely one of them.
Recipe for whole wheat spaghetti with aubergine below…
• 2 aubergines
• 3 cloves of garlic
• Fresh basil
• Fresh parsley
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
• olive oil
• 1 tbsp baby capers
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 tin of tomatoes
• 320 g dried wholewheat spaghetti
• pecorino cheese
1. Chop the aubergines into rough 2cm chunks. Place into a colander in the sink, sprinkle with sea salt to draw out the moisture, then set aside for around 20 minutes.
2. Slice the garlic, basil and parsley leaves with the stalks.
3. Rinse the aubergine and pat dry with kitchen paper, then place into a large bowl with the oregano, chilli flakes, a splash of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Toss together well.
4. Drizzle a splash of olive oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the aubergines in a single layer, and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, or until softened and golden.
5. Add another splash of olive oil, followed by the garlic, capers, parsley and basil stalks, then cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden.
6. Stir in the vinegar and the tomatoes.Reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
7. Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until al dente.
8. Drain the spaghetti, reserving a cupful of the cooking water, then add a good splash of the reserved water to the aubergine sauce.
9. Finely grate in the cheese, add basil and parsley leaves. Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, then season to taste.
10. Add the spaghetti to the sauce and toss well, adding an extra splash of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed.
11. Divide between bowls, grate over the cheese and finish with the herbs on top.