Use up any left-over turkey by tossing together this Warm Turkey Salad with Pickled Cranberries recipe from Siúcra. This delicious festive salad combines all of the flavours and colours of Christmas with sweet cranberries, pickled with Siúcra Caster Sugar, and sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and pecans, caramelised using Siúcra Rich Dark Brown Sugar. It is the perfect light meal to serve on Saint Stephen’s Day after the indulgence of the day before.
For the pickled cranberries
– 300g Siúcra Caster Sugar
– 350ml apple cider vinegar
– 2 cinnamon sticks
– ½ tsp ground allspice
– ½ tsp ground cloves
– ¼ tsp black pepper
– ½ tsp salt
– 300g fresh cranberries
For the salad
– 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
– 300g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and leaves separated
– 50g Siúcra Rich Dark Brown Sugar
– 60ml olive oil
– 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
– Salt and black pepper
– 30g butter, cubed
– 50g whole pecans
– 250g leftover turkey, warmed
– 200g mixed leaves
For the dressing
– 80ml balsamic vinegar
– 1 shallot, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp Siúcra Light Golden Brown Sugar
– Salt and black pepper
– 80ml olive oil
1. Combine the Siúcra Caster Sugar, cider vinegar, cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves, black pepper and salt in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for three minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved.
2. Stir in the cranberries and cook for six minutes until they start to pop open. Spoon into one large sterilised jar, or three jam jars, and seal.
3. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and toss the sweet potato cubes and sprout leaves with the Siúcra Rich Dark Brown Sugar, oil, red wine vinegar and some salt and pepper. Dot over the butter and roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until tender.
4. Add the pecans to the tray and roast with the sweet potato and sprout leaves for another 10 minutes until the nuts are fragrant and the vegetables are caramelised.
5. Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing, except for the oil, in a bowl until combined. While whisking constantly, slowly stream in the oil until incorporated.
6. Combine the sweet potatoes, sprout leaves, turkey and salad leaves in a large bowl. Add enough of the dressing to coat, then toss.
7. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the pecans and some of the pickled cranberries.