NoLIta Vegan Pumpkin Ravioli Recipe with roasted pumpkin, sage and pumpkin seeds.
The recipe can be made non vegan includes parmigiano reggiano and brown butter.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 600g Crown Prince pumpkin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4-5 fine gratings of nutmeg
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 20g extra virgin olive oil
- 1g cayenne pepper
- 2g salt
Vegan pasta dough
- 400g water
- 1kg fine semolina
- 20g salt
- pinch of saffron
Non vegan recipe
Sage brown butter
- 200g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) sage leaves
- 50g butter
- a handful of sage leaves
- grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- For the dough, combine semolina flour, water, salt and saffron.
- Once the mix has started to take the dough form sprinkle some flour over the work surface and knead the dough until the mix has blended completely.
- Roll the dough to the desired thickness and hand cut your pasta or use a pasta roller machine.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour to rest.
- Slow roast the crown prince pumpkin and slow roast with skin side up. Scoop away the flesh from the skin. Sauté onion in oil and olive oil (or butter if non-vegan) in a wide shallow saucepan over medium heat until onion is tender, add garlic, stir until fragrant then add the roasted pumpkin, being careful not to mash too much.
- Non-vegan: add remaining butter and pumpkin to pan, and cook uncovered until just tender.
- Add thyme and nutmeg, then set aside to cool.
- Non vegan: add parmesan, season to taste and stir to combine.
- Divide pasta dough and roll until the dough is about 3mm thick. Cut out 8cm rounds and place on a tray.
- Place the pasta rounds in a row and spoon 1 tsp pumpkin filling onto the centre of each. Brush edges with water (or non-vegan: eggwash) then place another round on top.
- Starting closely around filling, press outwards to seal completely, then trim to a 7cm round with cutter. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate.
- Non vegan: for sage butter, melt butter in a saucepan until foaming and nut brown (1-2 minutes). Add sage, remove from heat and stir gently until crisp (10 seconds). Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook ravioli in batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente for 2-4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to warm bowls. Non vegan: drizzle with sage brown butter, scatter with parmesan or pecorino and serve immediately.
Nolita Head Chef: Rocco Cannella
Where the classic Italian Eatery and New York bar collide. All pasta is made fresh, in house, every day, by their dedicated pasta Chef Mario, using only use free range eggs and the best Italian semolina and 00 flour.