- 1 tbsp ground linseeds flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 grated zest of 1 orange
- 100 ml plant-based milk, such as pea protein or cashew
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100 g finely ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- .75 tsp tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 200 g marzipan, broken up
- 150 g apple sauce
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 75 g caster (granulated) sugar
- 2 tbsp Demerara raw sugar
- 4 tbsp flaked sliced almonds
- Begin by mixing the ground linseeds (flaxseeds) with the hot water. Let sit for about 10 minutes in the fridge until it becomes gelatinous.
- Combine the lemon and orange zest, plant-based milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), salt and cardamom.
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held electric whisk, beat the marzipan with the apple sauce. Beat in the vegetable oil and sugar. Continue to beat until smooth. Stir in the milk mixture, followed by the flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the batter to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. 5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180°C fan (350°F/Gas 4) and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, place mounds of the batter 5cm (2in) apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle over the sugar and almonds for topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 minutes, or until golden, puffed up and the cake-ies spring back when lightly touched. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ChillThe batter can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. FreezeSimply freeze mounds of sugar and almond-topped batter on a plate. Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 6 months. Bake from frozen Preheat the oven as above and bake on a lined baking sheet for about 14–16 minutes, or until golden.
Vegan Lemon Cakes RecipeExtracted from Batch Baking: Get-ahead recipes for cookies, cakes, breads and more by Cynthia Barcomi (£19.99, DK). Photography by Lisa Linderwww.dk.com
Calories: 182kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 4gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.03gSodium: 192mgPotassium: 59mgFiber: 2gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 6IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 45mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!