Decadent Vegan Chocolate & Raspberry Cake Recipe by Thea Kinsella
This healthy cake recipe proves that a nutritious dessert can still be delicious and decadent! It is free from gluten, dairy and eggs and can be made using unrefined sugars.
It also contains two of your five a day, balanced out with the addition of some naughty dark chocolate.
For the cake
– 2 very ripe avocadoes (approximately 250g)
– 350g coconut sugar (or brown sugar if you can’t find coconut sugar)
– 2 tbsp oil
– 2 tbsp water
– 4 tsp baking powder
– 250g 70% dark chocolate
– 90g ground almonds
– 1 cup frozen raspberries
For the icing
– 1 very ripe avocado
– 2 cups icing sugar
– 2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes and grease a 7-inch cake tin with oil.
2. Scoop the avocados into your mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add in your sugar and mix again until combined.
3. Mix together the oil, water and baking powder in a separate bowl. This mixture acts as your egg replacement. Add this to the avocado and sugar and mix.
4. Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until glossy and fully melted. Add this to the mixing bowl and fold in with a spatula.
5. Finally, fold in the ground almonds and frozen raspberries. Pour mixture into your prepared cake tin and bake for 40 mins.
6. For the icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder together into your mixing bowl with the avocado and beat until smooth. Taste it and correct the flavour for sweetness and chocolate.
7. When a toothpick comes out clean from the centre of the cake, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
8. Decorate with the icing, fresh raspberries and toasted flaked almonds.
Tip: the icing sugar can be replaced with maple syrup but it will result in a runnier texture.
With a dream to open her own baking business, Thea is currently doing Culinary Arts at Dublin Institute of Technology, while also working full-time as the pastry chef for The Fat Fox, Camden Row. Thea has been baking for as long as she can remember and at the age of sixteen she began decorating and selling her cakes to order. On her Instagram page you can find her creations from both The Fat Fox and her private clients.