Vanilla Creme Brulee Recipe by Chef Gearóid Lynch
This vanilla creme brulee recipe is a favourite of Gearóid’s customers in The Olde Post Inn. Traditionally, it is served with seasonal berries and ginger shortbread biscuits.
– 500ml single cream
– 50g icing sugar
– ½ vanilla pod, split in half and seeds scraped out
– 5 egg yolks
– light brown Demerara sugar, for caramelising
– fresh seasonal berries, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C.
2. To make the custard, place the cream and 25g of the icing sugar in a large saucepan along with the vanilla seeds and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Mix the egg yolks and the remaining 25g of icing sugar together in a large heatproof bowl. Pour the hot cream into the egg yolks and whisk well.
4. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the vanilla pod and any lumps and to ensure that you have a smooth custard.
5. Pour equal portions of the custard into four ramekins or shallow ovenproof serving dishes.
6. Place the dishes in a roasting tin and pour in enough water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20– 30 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending on how deep
your dishes are.
7. The crème brûlée is baked when it wobbles slightly as a whole.
8. Allow to cool, then place in the fridge until chilled.
9. Before serving, sprinkle with the Demerara sugar and caramelise with a kitchen blowtorch or under a hot grill. This results in a light sheet of caramel. Repeat the process three times to get a really good
crust on the custard.
10. Top with fresh seasonal berries and serve immediately.
This dessert can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge overnight. To serve, simply
remove from the fridge, glaze and serve immediately.
As well as tempting breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts, there’s a section on store-cupboard staples and basics, including gluten-free bread, pizza and pasta. With a few small adjustments, those with coeliac disease will no longer miss out on their favourite meals.
My Gluten-Free Kitchen is available to buy on www.GillBooks.ie (€24.99)