This is a seriously awesome savoury breakfast: a Turkish style flatbread topped with my favourite Coyo dairy free, sugar free coconut yogurt infused with garlic and fresh herbs, and a crispy bottomed fried egg, harissa, dukkah and some extra roast pistachios for good measure. The only breakfast I’ll give up my chocolate pancakes for!
My alternative Turkish flatbread recipe is a thick and fluffy jumbo pan bread which you could easily switch up and sweeten with some vanilla, cinnamon and stevia and top it off with some Coyo of choice, maybe cherry, complimented with some fresh cherries, grated dark chocolate and toasted coconut flakes.
Rather than sundried tomato pesto I opted for some spicy harissa. I just love the combination of creamy yogurt with lots of spice. The gooey drippy crispy bottomed fried egg, once I popped that yolk, brought the whole thing together. Such a beautiful amalgamation of flavours and textures. The thick fluffy bread like base soaked up any of the drippy bright yellow egg yolk that made any attempt to escape.
For the Flatbread
– 3/4 cup (180ml) egg whites
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 2 tbsp (15g) coconut flour
– 2 tsp (7g) psyllium husk flakes
– 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Rock Salt
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 1 tsp (4g) melted coconut oil for cooking
For the Yogurt
– 1 pot (125g) Natural Coyo
– 1/2 tbsp fresh dill finely chopped
– 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
– 1/2 tsp finely grated garlic
– Pink Himalayan Rock salt and black pepper, to season
– 1 large organic egg
– 1 tsp (4g) melted coconut oil
– 1 – 2 tsp harissa
– 1 tsp dukkah
– 1/2 tbsp toasted pistachios roughly chopped
1. Preheat grill/broiler.
2. Blend together all flatbread ingredients.
3. Melt coconut oil in a nonstick 10 inch pan over a medium heat.
4. Pour in thick batter and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Cook for 4 minutes and then place the pan under the preheated grill/broiler. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove and turn off the grill/broiler. Return to the hob, carefully flip and cook for 2 minutes more over a low to medium heat.
5. Meanwhile fry your egg in coconut oil.
6. Mix together all yogurt ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place flatbread on to a cooling rack and allow to cool for a few minutes.
8. Spread flatbread with herbed Coyo.
9. Top with your fried egg. Drizzle with harissa and sprinkle with dukkah and toasted pistachios. Garnish with some fresh dill and black pepper. Dig in!
I’m Shel but some people call me “Peachy”…I’m the food loving, fitness fanatic, blogger behind Peachy Palate, a website which is now my hub for all the paleo, keto and grain free recipes I create, hoping to inspire people to think outside the box, eating whole foods that truly nourish. Fueled by a desire to improve my own health I love to create sweet and savoury recipes, sharing them with the world ensuring no one need feel deprived regardless of their dietary restrictions or preferences. Living in Wicklow, Ireland, when not dreaming up recipes I’m lifting with the men folk in my local gym, tapped into social media or out on the road delivering, merchandising and being a super duper brand ambassador for a local health food company.
My relationship with food wasn’t always so bright, in fact it wasn’t at all harmonious for quite sometime. Having overcome a decade of eating disorders I’m in the best place I’ve ever been. I’m happy, healthy, confident and I now enjoy every nourishing mouthful, giving my body what it needs. One of my favourite quotes from a sensational foodie … “Nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.” Julia Child. Life, love and food! www.peachypalate.comPeachy Palate Peachy Palate