Tortilla Wheels Recipe by Chef Neven Maguire
This tortilla wheels recipe is very versatile, so feel free to use the alternative fillings suggested below or experiment with your own. Once they have been made and wrapped in clingfilm, they will sit happily for up to 24 hours in the fridge, making them a perfect option for a party.
Makes 25 wheels
– 300g cream cheese or mild goat’s cheese
– Freshly ground black pepper
– 4 deli wraps (large soft flour tortillas)
– 50g watercress sprigs, plus extra to serve
– 350g thin slices Parma ham
1. Mix the cream cheese or goat’s cheese with a little black pepper.
2. Spread this mixture over the deli wraps and scatter over most of the watercress, reserving a little to garnish.
3. Top with a layer of the Parma ham and roll up like a Swiss roll to give a spiral look. Trim the ends, then wrap really tightly in clingfilm, twisting the ends tightly to enclose.
4. Place in the fridge until you’re ready to use. You can make these up to 1 day ahead.
5. To serve, take a really sharp knife and cut on the diagonal into wheels to get a nice shape, then arrange on a presentation plate with some extra watercress sprigs.
Award-winning chef, Neven Maguire, is Head Chef/Owner of MacNean House & Restaurant in Blacklion, Co. Cavan. One of Ireland’s most talented and innovative chefs, Neven has been named ‘Best Chef in Ireland’ at numerous awards. His MacNean House & Restaurant has also been presented with many awards for best dining experience, food and hospitality and most recently ‘Best Wine Experience’ at the Hotel & Catering Review Gold Medal Awards 2015/16. Fulfilling a long-held dream, Neven officially opened his ‘Neven Maguire Cookery School’ alongside his restaurant late 2013.
His latest recipe book – The Nation’s Favourite Healthy Food – is on shelves now and his new series of Healthy Home Chef was broadcast to acclaim on RTÉ 1. Neven is currently filming his new series of Home Chef in Ireland and abroad. His previous series are being shown in the US (on PBS) and the UK (UKTV Food). His award-winning classic, Neven Maguire’s Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook is also for sale in all good book stores or at Nevenmaguire.com.