This Tomato & Chilli Polenta Cake Recipe by Colin Greensmith of Pallas Foods, is a great winter breakfast or brunch with a little heat from the chilli polenta and creaminess from the avocado, freshness from the spinach and perfectly cooked eggs. This tasty recipe serves 8 people.
– 250g polenta
– 3 Shallots, finely diced
– 2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
– 1 red chilli, de-seeded & finely diced
– 15g Tomato Puree
– 250ml White Cooking Wine
– 750ml chicken stock
– 15g Flat Parsley, chopped
– 60g of parmesan cheese, grated
– 4 avocadoes, roughly chopped and tossed with olive oil & sea salt
For the spinach
– 400g Baby Spinach
– 20ml extra virgin olive oil
– 1 shallot, finely diced
– 1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
– Sea salt & Black pepper
– 8 Eggs – soft poached
1. To make the polenta cake sweat off the shallots, garlic and red chilli in a little olive oil, without colour.
2. Add the tomato puree and cook the mix for 5 minutes. Add in the white wine and reduce by two thirds.
3. Add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the polenta gradually. As the stock takes the polenta it will thicken and it’s important to stir the mix continuously otherwise it will stick.
5. Cook the polenta out for a couple of minutes and then add the grated parmesan and chopped parsley. Season and taste.
6. Place the polenta mix onto a tray which has been lined with cling film and chill until cool.
7. After the polenta has cooled it will set and then can be cut into little cakes with a cookie cutter or knife.
1. Pan fry the polenta cake until warm through and coloured.
2. Fry off the shallot and garlic in a little olive oil. Remove from the heat and add the spinach immediately to wilt, then season.
3. On a plate, top the polenta cake with the spinach, followed by the avocado and then the poached egg.
4. Serve with a sourdough croute and some cherry tomatoes with pesto.
RECIPE FROM COLIN GREENSMITH OF PALLAS FOODS
They have a portfolio of over 14,500 products and offer fresh, frozen, ambient and non-food products, in addition to an extensive wine list from their Private Vines Collection.
For more information log onto www.pallasfoods.com