Strawberry Pavlova Recipe by Chef Kevin Dundon
This pavlova recipe is the perfect dessert for the season. Use any variation of fresh summer berries such as raspberries, blueberries or blackberries.
– 180g or 6 egg whites
– 360g caster sugar
– ½ tsp cornflour
– ½ tsp vanilla essence
– ½ tsp white wine vinegar
– 240ml cream-very softly whipped
– Wexford strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 110C/225F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place the egg whites into a spotlessly clean mixing bowl and beat on a light speed until beginning to become stiff, then while beating slowly pour the caster sugar onto the frothy egg whites, a little at the time.
3. When all the sugar has been incorporated, add the vanilla essence, cornflour, vinegar and give one final whisk on high speed until glossy and stable.
4. Spread all the mixture out on the baking sheet and bake for 1.30 hour until the meringue mixture is very firm to touch but still soft in the middle. I normally leave mine to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
5. When cooled, and just before serving, transfer to a serving plate and spoon over the softly whipped cream.
6. Add the fruit on top of the cream and serve immediately.
Kevin Dundon is the Chef/Proprietor of Dunbrody Country House Hotel & Restaurant. Dunbrody was established in 1997 by Kevin and his wife Catherine. It is now considered to be one of Ireland’s leading country houses and was recently named Best Luxury Country House in the world. Kevin also runs a cookery school at Dunbrody which is one of the most respected in the country. Kevin is also Chef/Patron of the Irish Gastro Pub Raglan Road in Disneyland, Florida.
Over the past few years Kevin has appeared on numerous TV channels including ESPN Cable, CBC Canada, UKTV Great Food, BBC1’s Saturday Kitchen and RTE’s the Today Show. More recently he appeared live on the NBC Today show on St. Patrick’s Day while in New York representing Irish food. His prime time cookery show Modern Irish Food with Kevin Dundon aired on both RTE1 Ireland and PBS in the US and was nominated for three American Taste TV awards, the highest awards for the Lifestyle Entertainment Industry.
Kevin has also published 5 books: Full on Irish, Great Family Food, Recipes that Work, Modern Irish Food, and Back to Basics with Kevin Dundon. His latest venture is Arthurstown Brewing, of which Kevin is a director and shareholder. Kevin believes in pairing fine food with the best craft beers.