This hearty stew is ideal for the season. Enjoy its mix of flavours and textures and warm up with a comforting bowl.
– 300 grams flageolet beans
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1 knob of butter
– 25 g smoked bacon lardons
– 1 litre chicken stock
– 1 bunch of tied herbs (sage, thyme, parsley, bay leaf)
– 1 glass white wine
– 200 grams tinned plum tomatoes
– 1 ring of Clonakilty black pudding, sliced
– 6 sausages
– Salt and milled pepper
1. Soak the flageolet beans for 6 to 8 hours in advance of cooking. Wash very well before use.
2. Sweat onions and garlic in knob of butter. Add the bacon and flageolet beans, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring regularly, then add the chicken stock, herbs, wine and tomatoes.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1.5 hours or until the beans are cooked.
4. In a separate pan, fry black pudding and sausages. Pour bean stew into a serving dish and place black pudding and sausages on top.
5. Garnish with chopped, fresh herbs and serve with a good baguette to mop up sauce.