Stew of Clonakilty Black Pudding with Flageolet Beans and Sausages Recipe by Peter Clifford
This hearty stew is ideal for the season. Enjoy its mix of flavours and textures and warm up with a comforting bowl.
– 300 grams flageolet beans
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1 knob of butter
– 25 g smoked bacon lardons
– 1 litre chicken stock
– 1 bunch of tied herbs (sage, thyme, parsley, bay leaf)
– 1 glass white wine
– 200 grams tinned plum tomatoes
– 1 ring of Clonakilty black pudding, sliced
– 6 sausages
– Salt and milled pepper
1. Soak the flageolet beans for 6 to 8 hours in advance of cooking. Wash very well before use.
2. Sweat onions and garlic in knob of butter. Add the bacon and flageolet beans, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring regularly, then add the chicken stock, herbs, wine and tomatoes.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1.5 hours or until the beans are cooked.
4. In a separate pan, fry black pudding and sausages. Pour bean stew into a serving dish and place black pudding and sausages on top.
5. Garnish with chopped, fresh herbs and serve with a good baguette to mop up sauce.