The older I get, the more I find myself looking for tasty options that are healthy and packed full of goodness. This Spicy Chicken Noodles with Mango Recipe is a perfect example. Not only is it dairy free, but it’s perfect for eating al fresco, whether you decide to cook the chicken under the grill or on a barbecue. Raw tiger prawns would make a nice alternative to the chicken.
– 450g (1lb) skinless chicken fillets, cut into
– 2.5cm (1in) strips
– 100g (4oz) vermicelli rice noodles
– 1 red onion, thinly sliced
– good handful of fresh coriander leaves
– handful of fresh mint leaves
– 1 firm, ripe mango, peeled, stone discarded and cut into fine strips
– 75g (3oz) toasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– juice of ½ lime
– 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
– 2 tbsp torn fresh basil leaves
– 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
– 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
– 1 tsp mild curry powder
– 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
– 2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
– 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
– juice of 1 lime
1. Place all the ingredients for the marinade in a nonmetallic bowl and mix well to combine. Stir in the chicken and cover with cling film. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight is perfect to allow the flavours to penetrate the chicken.
2. Place the vermicelli rice noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for about 5 minutes, until softened, or according to the packet instructions. Place the red onion slices in a bowl of iced water for 2–3 minutes.
3. This will make them crisp and will tone down the flavour a little. Drain both and place in a large bowl. Roughly tear the herbs and add to the bowl with the mango and cashew nuts.
4. Preheat the grill to high. Place the chicken strips on a foil-lined grill rack and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, turning once, until cooked through and tender.
5. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place the soy sauce in a small bowl, then whisk in the extra virgin rapeseed oil, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice.
6. To serve, add the cooked chicken and the dressing to the noodles and toss until well combined, then divide among wide-rimmed bowls.
‘The Nations Favourite Healthy Food’ is the latest book by chef Neven Maguire. Since Neven took over the family business in 2001, MacNean House & Restaurant has been consistently winning awards for its food, service, wine offer and overall dining experience. In addition to his Neven Maguire Cookery School, where Neven presents a range of exciting cookery classes for all skill levels, he has also launched his exclusive ‘The Chef’s Table’ dining experience. Hosted in the beautiful and private surrounds of his cookery school, Neven and his team cook in front of diners and present the restaurant’s acclaimed Tasting Menu. Accompanying wines are presented and served by the restaurant’s sommelier.
‘The Nation’s Favourite Healthy Food’ is available in stores nationwide and online at nevenmaguire.com.