Spicy Bamboo Shoots with Sticky Rice Recipe By The Baking Nutritionist
This Spicy Bamboo Shoots with Sticky Rice Recipe is a perfect light dinner or lunch. I went to the shop to buy jackfruit. I came home with bamboo shoots and thai red curry paste. This is very common for me. I often go into the shop with the ingredients for a specific recipe in mind. I then see another ingredient and the original plan for dinner goes completely out the window. To make this recipe vegan-friendly, replace the milk with coconut milk and the natural yogurt with coconut yogurt. Not the traditional accompaniment to a Thai curry, I used arborio rice as I felt the texture was ideal for what I had in mind. Asian stores stock the proper “sticky rice” if you fancy trying it.
– 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
– 1 shallot, thinly sliced
– 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
– 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
– 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
– 1 tin (225g) bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
– 1 tsp thai red curry paste
– 1 tsp tomato puree
– 1 tsp cornflour
– Approx. 100ml milk
– 1 tsp coconut cream
– 2 tbsp natural yogurt
– Sticky rice, springs onions and coriander, to serve
1. Heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the shallot, ginger, garlic and half of the chilli for 5 minutes. Add in the bamboo shoots and cook for a further 3 minutes.
2. Mix in the curry paste, tomato puree and cornflour, coating all the vegetables, followed by the milk, coconut cream and a splash of boiling water. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often and adding a splash of water or milk if the sauce becomes dry.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the natural yogurt.
4. Serve immediately with a garnish of spring onion and the remaining red chilli, alongisde coriander-infused sticky rice.
Amy is a marketer, nutritionist, blogger, baker, cook and an ambassador for Health Bloggers Community in Ireland. Amy qualified from University College Dublin in 2016 with a BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition before following her creative passion and moving into the marketing team of Danone. This busy lady can most often be found drinking coffee, stalking dogs or photographing food for her blog. Amy is an avid believer of maintaining work-life balance and likes to wind down by attending yoga classes or going for long walks. Visit her blog here.