Spicy Baked Eggs Recipe with Tomatoes and Chickpeas from The Doctor’s Kitchen Cookbook
The sheer depth of colour in this eggs recipe screams richness of nutrients. Cacao and blueberries are two of my favourite ingredients that pair perfectly in both flavour and positive effects on heart health.
The ease with which this can be made means it’s often something I put together in a rush before running to clinic. Its bitter sweet flavour will energise the taste buds and the rich chemicals in the berries may protect from cognitive problems related to ageing.
– 3 tbsp extra·virgin olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped leaves from 2 thyme sprigs 200g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 2 tsp harissa paste 1OOg spinach leaves 200g passata or tinned chopped tomatoes
– 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2eggs
– 1 tsp sumac
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan, add the garlic and thyme leaves and saute for 2 minutes, until the garlic has softened but not burnt.
3. Add the chickpeas and harissa paste and saute for a further 2 minutes, then stir in the spinach and passata or chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
4. When the mixture starts to simmer, carefully crack the eggs over it so they sit neatly on top.
5. Simmer for 2 minutes, then transfer the pan to the preheated grill and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the egg whites are cooked but the yolks are still runny (keep an eye on it to make sure the eggs don’t overcook).
6. Remove from the grill, drizzle with the remaining olive oil, sprinkle with the sumac and season with salt and pepper.
Dr Rupy Aujla’s first cookbook, The Doctor’s Kitchen, is the go-to book to help you kick unhealthy faddy diets for good.
In the book, Rupy, explains the principles of healthy living in a fun and relatable way with over 100 vibrant, tasty recipes steeped in medical science which are easy and inexpensive to make.
Infused with flavours from around the world, this tasty selection of everyday meals makes healthy eating an absolute pleasure.