Smoked Chicken Wings with Hoisin Glaze Recipe by Weber
Direct from your barbecue, Weber brings you the perfect recipe for smokey and sticky chicken wings, just in time to celebrate the Bank Holiday weekend.
Chicken wings are a traditional barbecue staple and this recipe from Weber’s BBQ Bible recipe will guarantee you achieve melt in your mouth, quality slow cooked wings infused with delicious Asian flavours.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 ½ – 2 hours
2 tsp garlic granules
1 ½ tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground pepper
12 chicken wings, 1.3kg / 3lb total
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp rice vinegar
Garnish with 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect cooking over low heat (120°C – 150°C).
- In a small bowl, mix all the rub ingredients. Brush the wings lightly with olive oil and then season them evenly with the rub.
- Brush the BBQ cooking grates clean. Add apple wood chunks to the coals or add pre-soaked wood chips to a smoker box and close the lid. When smoke appears, arrange the wings, skin side down on the grates and roast over an indirect low heat with the lid closed for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: in a small saucepan, warm the sesame oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30-60 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the remaining glaze ingredients, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes until simmering. Set aside off the heat.
- After the first hour of cooking the wings, cut into one at the joint to check doneness. The meat should no longer be pink at the bone. If it is pink, let the wings cook for another 30 minutes before you glaze them.
- Brush the wings all over with the glaze and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Transfer the wings to a platter and garnish with spring onions, if using. Serve warm.
This recipe is from Weber’s Barbecue Bible cookbook by Jamie Purviance, €30.