This Brown Sugar Glaze is the perfect pairing for your Holiday Ham this Christmas. Sticky and sweet with festive flavour.
Siúcra Brown Sugar Glazed Christmas Ham Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 6 hours
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 5kg ham joint
- 1L orange juice
- 1 tsp whole cloves, plus extra to stud
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
For the whiskey brown sugar glaze:
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 150g Siúcra Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 100ml whiskey
- Place the ham in a large pot. Pour in the orange juice, then add enough cold water to just cover the ham, if needed. Add the spices and bay leaf. Bring slowly to a boil, skimming off any white foam from the surface. Simmer very gently for about 4 hours until the ham is cooked throughout. Add water if needed to ensure the ham is covered while simmering.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place the oven rack at its lowest position. Remove the ham from its liquid and allow to cool slightly.
- For the glaze, place the honey, mustard, Siúcra brown sugar and whiskey in a small pot and heat until fully combined and bubbling gently. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the ham on a board and use a small sharp knife to strip off the skin, leaving an even layer of fat on the ham. Score the fat in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut into the meat. Stud the intersections with cloves.
- Place the ham in a foil lined roasting tin and thickly brush all over with the glaze. Leaving aside approx. 4 Tbsp of glaze.
- Bake for 45 minutes, brushing with extra glaze every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter and tent loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Visit nordzuckerireland.ie for more recipes, inspiration and top tips for cooking and baking.