Simple Chilli Con Carne with Ballymaloe Pepper Relish Recipe By Ballymaloe Foods
Chilli con carne is one of those versatile dishes, perfect with rice, wraps or for chilli fries. We use Ballymaloe Pepper Relish in this recipe, as the jalapeño heat and unique taste bring another layer of flavour to the dish. This is a chilli con carne recipe you’ll use time and time again.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700g stewing beef (remove the fat and cut into 1-2cm cubes)
- 1-2 onions (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 x 280g jar of Ballymaloe Pepper Relish
- 1 green or red chilli (chopped, leave the seeds in)
- 1-2 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tin kidney beans (drained)
- Sour cream, coriander leaves and grated cheddar cheese to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Season the meat with salt and pepper and cook until the meat browns slightly.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, Ballymaloe Pepper Relish, chopped chilli and a pinch of salt.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or until the flavours blend.
- By the end of the cooking time, the liquid should have reduced to a thick sauce. If it gets too dry during cooking, just add a little more water or liquid from the beans (you can also pop it in the oven at 150°C/ Gas Mark 2)
- Finally, add the cumin and kidney beans, and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, a spoonful of sour cream, some grated Cheddar and coriander leaves.