Most of us know that as part of a healthy, balanced diet, eggs can provide the body the essential nutrients we need and are often the hero ingredient of many meals! Not only are they delicious, but they’re also packed with an impressive variety of nutrients and this makes them one of the healthiest foods to eat.
- large Nature’s Pick Onion
- 1 Nature’s Pick Red Pepper
- 170 g Specially Selected Chorizo Ring
- 3 Nature’s Pick Garlic Cloves
- 1 Nature’s Pick Green Chilli approx. 10g
- 1 heaped tsp Stonemill Paprika
- 1 tsp Stonemill Ground Cumin
- 35 ml Solesta Olive Oil
- 2 x 400g tins Napolina Chopped Tomatoes
- 5 g Fresh Nature’s Pick Parsley
- 5 g Fresh Nature’s Pick Coriander
- 4 Healy’s Farm Large Fresh Eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel and halve the onion and thinly slice. Cut the red pepper in half lengthways, remove any seeds and thinly slice. Peel the garlic and mince. Finely chop the chilli along with the seeds.
- In a large frying pan or wok, sauté the onion and peppers on a low heat for 3 minutes in the olive oil. Slice the chorizo and add to the pan, then sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cumin, garlic and chilli and sauté for another minute, then pour in the tins of tomato. Season with some salt and black pepper and bring to the boil.
- Chop the parsley and coriander and add to the dish, then simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer the Shakshuka to an ovenproof dish. Crack the eggs on the top.
- Oven bake for about 10 minutes until the eggs are just set. Serve alongside some baked brown baguettes, Greek yogurt and grated cheddar cheese.
- Protein – They are high in protein; two eggs provide an average man with half of his daily protein requirement. It is the best form of protein important for muscle growth and maintenance.
- Calories – An average egg contains about 70kcal and 6g protein making it a great choice for those watching their weight.
- Vitamin D – We don’t get enough Vitamin D in Ireland – 2 eggs give you a third of what you need in a day.
- Vitamin B12 – Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient for nerve function. Two eggs provide you with all you need in a day
- Minerals – Two eggs provide as much iron as 100g of spinach. They also contain over a third of your daily requirement of selenium and iodine needed for healthy thyroid function and immunity.