- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions sliced into wedges
- 2 peppers any colour, cut into strips
- 3 Cloves garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- .5 tsp caraway seeds
- .5 tsp fennel seeds
- .5 tsp ground turmeric
- .25 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Bunch small bunch of flat-leaf parsley stems and leaves separated, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 400 g chopped tomatoes 1 can, or fresh equivalent
- 200 g 7oz feta, cut into cubes (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- TO SERVE
- Chilli flakes
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, mint or coriander (cilantro), or a combination of all three
- Toast or flatbreads
- Heat the olive oil in your pressure cooker and add the red onions and peppers. Sauté on a high heat for a couple of minutes just to get them started, then stir in the garlic, spices, parsley stems and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and add 100ml (31⁄2fl oz) water.
- Close the lid and bring up to pressure. Cook for 3 minutes, then fast release. Make 4 wells in the sauce and add an egg to each, then drop in the cubes of feta, if using. Close the lid and bring up to high pressure again, then remove from the heat and leave for 30 seconds.
- Fast release the remaining pressure. Sprinkle with parsley, mint or coriander (cilantro) and serve immediately with chilli flakes and toast or flatbreads, if you like.
Photography by Andrew Hayes-Watkins Recipe Credit: Modern Pressure Cooking by Catherine Phipps (£26, Quadrille) www.hardiegrant.com
Calories: 258kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 14gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 645mgPotassium: 329mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1878IUVitamin C: 69mgCalcium: 315mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!