Seared Scallops Recipe in Grapefruit Sauce from the Hibiscus Cookbook
This Seared Scallops Recipe is from the Hibiscus Cookbook.
Lots of my friends are a bit frightened of cooking scallops but there’s really no need to be – they’re quick and easy and this dish makes a great starter if you’re having a dinner party.
The tangy grapefruit juice goes perfectly with the sweetness of the coconut nectar (or honey), and this flavour combination actually goes really well with seafood generally.
– 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
– 2 shallots, very finely chopped
– ½ Scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
– 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
– juice of ½ grapefruit
– 2 tbsp coconut nectar or honey
– 400g scallops, thawed if frozen
– salt and cayenne pepper
1. In a small frying pan set over a medium–low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil and cook the shallots and Scotch bonnet for 2 minutes until soft.
2. Add the ginger, grapefruit juice and coconut nectar or honey. Cook for 5 minutes until the liquid reduces and becomes syrupy.
3. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste and set aside.
4. Pat the scallops dry with kitchen paper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large frying pan over a medium–high heat.
5. Place half of the scallops in the pan, making sure they don’t overlap.
6. Cook for 3 minutes on each side to get a nice golden brown finish.
7. Remove the scallops from the pan and place on a plate, then repeat to
cook the second half.
8. Arrange the scallops on four plates and drizzle with the grapefruit sauce.
Lopè Ariyo is the rising star of African cooking and Hibiscus, her first book, is packed with delicious dishes. An energetic and supremely talented cook, Lopè creates fresh, fuss-free meals that are full of flavour. With chapters including Fruits, Vegetables & Tubers; Grains & Pulses; Meat & Poultry and Baking & Desserts, there’s something for every occasion and for everyone.
Nigerian-inspired flavours and cooking methods can transform everyday dishes into something spectacular.