A seafood lasagne recipe is always a winner. Delicious any day of the week.
Seafood Lasagne Recipe by Bord Bia
Time: 1 hour
- 1kg mussels, cleaned- any barnacles or beards removed
- 400g haddock, deboned, skin removed and cut into cubes
- 400g Irish organic salmon, deboned, skin removed and cut into cubes
- 100ml white wine
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 75g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 600ml milk, approximately
- 9-12 fresh lasagne sheets
- 80g grated cheddar cheese
- Broccoli florets
- 1 tablesp. oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 60mls water or stock
- Heat the oven Gas Mark 5, 190ᵒC (375ᵒF).
- Discard any mussels that are damaged or won’t close when tapped.
- Place a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add the wine, garlic and mussels and cover tightly. Allow the mussels to cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time to ensure they cook evenly. With a slotted spoon remove the mussels from the cooking liquid. Discard any that have not opened. Then remove the mussels from the shells, you will have approximately of 200g of mussels.
- Drain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a measuring jug and set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce: Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Stir in the flour and allow to cook for a minute or two. Add enough milk to the mussel liquid to make up 1 litre. Add this into the pan and whisk until smooth and bubbling. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir through about two thirds of the cheese.
- To assemble the lasagne: Spread a spoonful of the béchamel sauce over the base of a deep 20cmx30cm baking dish. Place a layer of lasagne sheets on top. Lay half the fish on top of the lasagne and scatter over half the mussels. Spoon over approximately one third of the sauce. Put another layer of lasagne sheets on top then spread over the remaining fish and mussels. Spoon over half of the remaining sauce. Top with lasagne sheets and spread over the remaining sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling at the edges. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- To steam the broccoli: Heat the oil in a large sauce pan with a lid. Add the garlic, then the broccoli and sauté for about a minute. Add the stock or water, cover and allow to cook for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Drain and season.
- To serve: Divide the lasagne between four plates and serve along with the broccoli.