Savoury Courgette Muffin Recipe by The Honest Project
We are so used to muffins being sweet. However most people who taste savoury muffins are more than pleasantly surprised and very often much prefer them to the sweet versions. Savoury muffins store really well and keep them in their liners for easy transport for packed lunches. Courgette is a key ingredient in these muffins to keep them moist. In addition to courgette extra veggies can be added such as tomatoes, spinach, carrot, etc. While this courgette muffin recipe is vegetarian, you can also add ham or chorizo for a meaty version.
Makes 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 1.5 cup wholemeal spelt flour
– 2 tbsp grated cheese (for a vegan version use nutritional yeast)
– 2 tsp dried oregano
– ½ tsp baking powder
– 1 cup grated courgette
– ¾ cup almond milk or your milk of choice
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1 egg (for a vegan version use a flax egg. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tbsp flaxmeal with 3 tbsp water and allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken. Then use as you would a normal egg.)
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 spring onion, trimmed and finely chopped
– 6 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
– Sea salt and black pepper to season
1. Pre heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Add all the dry ingredients (i.e. the flour, oregano and baking powder) to a bowl and season with sea salt and black pepper.
2. Add the wet ingredients (i.e. the egg, milk, grated courgette, cheese, oil and the minced garlic) to another bowl and beat well.
3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and fold in the tomatoes and chopped spring onion.
4. Line a muffin tray with 12 paper liners. Spoon the mixture into the paper liners, evenly distributing it between the 12 liners. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Once cooked remove from the oven and place the muffins, still in the liners on a wire tray to cool. If using these muffins for packed lunches, leave them in the liners as they are easy to pack this way.
6. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days.
For more information visit thehonestproject.com.