Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a stress-fest. Prepare this indulgent torte recipe the day before so you’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your date.
Combining sweet and salty flavours, it will tantalise the taste buds of chocolate lovers. The salt sets off the caramel and dark chocolate and brings out the rich flavours.
Top with raspberries for a pop of colour and sprinkle with Siúcra Icing Sugar to add the finishing touches. This can also be made in 200ml dariole moulds which only take 15 minutes in the oven.
– 175g Siúcra Granulated Sugar
– 125ml cream
– ½ tsp sea salt
– 100g butter, cut into cubes
– 250g plain chocolate, broken into pieces (70% cocoa solids)
– 150g butter, cut into cubes
– 175g Siúcra Caster Sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 100g ground almonds
– 6 large eggs, separated
– 225g raspberries
– Siúcra Icing Sugar, for dusting
– Crème fraîche
1. To make the caramel, place the Siúcra Granulated Sugar in a heavy-based pan and add three tablespoons of water.
2. Heat gently, stirring only until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the syrup to the boil. Simmer vigorously until the caramel turns a rich amber colour, swirling the pan occasionally to prevent hot spots but on no account stir.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and salt.
4. Stir in the butter until you have achieved a smooth caramel and set aside to cool completely. This is best done a couple of hours in advance.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350F / Gas mark 4. Line a 23cm (9in) loose-bottomed cake tin with parchment paper.
5. Melt the chocolate, butter and Siúcra Caster Sugar together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and almonds. Add the egg yolks one at a time.
6. Whisk the egg whites in a separate large bowl until they form stiff peaks.
7. Fold one tablespoon into the chocolate mixture with a large metal spoon to loosen it, then fold in the rest, being careful to retain as much air as possible.
8. Transfer about two-thirds of the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Make a slight dip in the centre and spoon in the salted caramel and smooth over the surface. Cover with the rest of the cake mixture, smoothing it right to the edges.
9. Bake for 40 minutes until puffed and almost firm but still with a slight wobble in the middle. Leave to cool completely in the tin. The cake will slightly sink in the centre.
10. Transfer to a cake stand and pile the raspberries on top. Dust lightly with Siúcra Icing Sugar. Cut into slices, arrange on plates and add a dollop of crème fraiche.
For more information on Siúcra products and/or recipes visit Siúcra’s Facebook page or www.siucra.ie.