Salmon Teriyaki Recipe by Fiona Uyema
Without exception, everyone loves this salmon teriyaki recipe – it’s one of the most talked about recipes at my cooking classes. The perfect combination of flavours in the salmon and the sweet teriyaki sauce make this an all-time favourite in households across the world and on menus in both Asian and non-Asian restaurants.
– vegetable oil
– 2 fillets salmon
– handful of sesame seeds to garnish
– 4 tablespoons soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons sake
– 2 tablespoons mirin
– 1 teaspoon sugar/honey
1. Combine all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce, mix well and set aside.
2. Pour a little vegetable oil into a non-stick frying pan on a medium to high heat.
3. Place the salmon fillets (skin-side down) on the frying pan and sear both sides of the fish.
4. When the fish is nearly cooked (place the salmon fillets skin-side down at this point) pour the teriyaki sauce over it.
5. Use a large spoon to continually pour the sauce over the fish fillets while continuing to fry.
6. Fry until the teriyaki sauce is reduced to the consistency of a syrup.
7. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Keep a close eye on the teriyaki sauce as it can quickly reduce on a high heat and start to burn.
Fiona Uyema spent three years in Japan, where she learned about Japanese food. She has appeared on TV and featured in many publications, including the Irish Independent, The Irish Times, EasyFood magazine, FOOD&WINE and the RTÉ Guide. In her cookbook ‘Japanese Food Made Easy’ Fiona shares her love of Japanese cooking, known for its health benefits and carefully balanced flavours. Using local ingredients where possible, she demonstrates how easy it is to cook Japanese food at home without spending hours preparing complicated dishes.