These homemade heart-shaped flatbreads are fun to make, delicious to taste and made with love—making them the perfect recipe for an evening in the kitchen for two.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Cooking difficulty: Easy
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Drain and pat the mozzarella dry. Tear into small pieces.
- Mix together half the passata and ½ tbsp sugar (double both for 4p).
- Season with salt and pepper. You’ve made your base sauce!
- Use a knife or scissors to cut a small triangle out of the top of each flatbread, so they resemble love hearts.
- Divide the sauce between the flatbreads. Use a spoon to spread the sauce over the base, leaving 1cm on the side as the crust.
- Spread the pepper slices evenly on the flatbreads.
- Bake in the oven for 7-8 mins.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp oil (double for 4p), grated Italian cheese, pine nuts and half the rocket to a food processor and grind to a paste.
- Add water or oil if a looser consistency is desired. You’ve made your own pesto!
- Just before serving, toss the remaining salad leaves with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove the flatbreads from the oven and cut into even slices.
- Scatter torn mozzarella over the top.
- Dollop small drops of pesto all over the flatbreads and arrange the dressed leaves on top.
TIP: This dish will pair beautifully with a pinot noir!