Roast Aubergine Rolls Recipe by Dr Paula Gilvarry
These are great as a snack between meals, but if you bake them with a fresh tomato sauce and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or crumbled feta cheese, they make a more filling lunch dish.
– 3 aubergines
– Olive oil cooking spray
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Feta cheese, chopped dates and chopped walnuts
– Hummus, chopped tomatoes and rocket
– Pesto, goats’ cheese and toasted flaked almonds
– Grated carrots, wholegrain mustard and baby gem lettuce
– Roast red peppers, baby spinach and hummus
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Cut the ends off the aubergines, then cut them lengthways into strips about 4cm thick. Spread the aubergine slices in a roasting tin, then spray with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn the slices over and spray those sides with oil and season again.
3. Roast in the oven for 15–20 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cooking time, until they are dark golden and soft.
4. Allow to cool a little, then top with your chosen fillings and roll up from the short end. Skewer with a cocktail stick to ensure they stay rolled up.
A diet for people who love food from the doctor and chef who lost 5 stone. Dr Paula Gilvarry has always loved her food; in fact, she even ran a restaurant alongside being a GP. But when her increasing weight began to cause medical problems, she knew something had to change.
Cutting out delicious food wasn’t an option, so instead she changed the type of food she ate, adapting all of her favourite recipes to suit her new weight-loss regime. And it worked.
Five stone lighter and a whole lot healthier and happier, Paula is ready to share her secrets. Her recipes are delicious, high in protein, low in carbs, and they even allow for a daily glass of wine! Doctor on a Diet is for anyone who wants to lose weight slowly and keep it off, without sacrificing taste or flavour.