Calabrese Sausage Risotto Recipe from Coppi for Peroni Gluten Free Restaurant Week
This Calabrese Sausage Risotto is naturally gluten free and packed with rustic Italian flavour from lashings of parmesan, fennel sausage and delicious pickled radicchio. This dish is being served in stylish Italian eatery Coppi, a popular Belfast hotspot, to celebrate Peroni Gluten Free Restaurant Week.
From 5th February to Sunday 11th February a number of Ireland’s leading restaurants will be serving a special dish free from gluten, to be served with a Peroni Gluten Free.
Each special dish has been inspired by Italy and has been designed to complement Peroni’s Gluten Free beer, for a bespoke gluten free dining experience. Coppi has shared the recipe for their tempting Calabrese Sausage Risotto so you can whip it up at home and enjoy with a bottle of Peroni Gluten Free or two.
For the Risotto
– 200g arborio risotto rice
– 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
– 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
– 250g pork and fennel sausage meat
– 50ml red wine
– 350ml chicken stock
– 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
– A quarter cinnamon stick
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
– 1 tbsp butter
– 2 tbsp freshly shaved parmesan
– 2 tbsp toasted & crushed hazelnuts
For the Pickled Radicchio
– 1 radicchio, core removed & sliced finely
– 1 clove crushed garlic
– 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
– 150ml white wine vinegar
– 100ml white wine
– 100ml water
– 50g caster sugar
To prepare the radicchio
1. Place the sliced radicchio in a wide based tray.
2. Heat the remaining ingredients in a pot until just boiling, be sure to whisk the liquid to dissolve the sugar before boiling.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature before pouring over the radicchio.
4. Wrap the tray with cling wrap until air tight and allow to stand for a minimum of 2 hours (you can make this a few days in advance and store in the refrigerator).
To cook the risotto and finish the dish
1. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large wide based pot, add the sausage meat and break up until a bolognese texture is achieved.
2. Add the cinnamon followed by the onion, rosemary and celery & allow to cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice and coat well with the base, follow with the red wine and allow to cook over a medium heat until the liquid has evaporated.
4. Slowly add enough chicken stock whilst constantly stirring until the rice has cooked.
5. Finish by adding the butter and stirring until a creamy texture has been achieved. The finished risotto should smoothly pour from a spoon.
6. Finish the dish by plating the risotto into a serving dish, scatter over the pickled raddichio as desired, dress with toasted hazelnuts and parmesan.
For more information on Peroni Gluten Free Restaurant Week and updates on the latest participating restaurants, follow Peroni Ireland on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, or visit www.thehouseofperoni.com.