Rhubarb Almond Cake Recipe by Pink Haired Pastry Chef – Gluten and Dairy Free
Take advantage of the impending end of rhubarb season with this delicate gluten and dairy free rhubarb almond cake. It is incredibly moist with a tender crumb. It tastes very similar to a bakewell tart minus the pastry with rhubarb. It’s also so easy to throw together!
- Small and deep baking tray
- Large mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 8 inch (20cm) round cake tin
- 300 grams rhubarb
- 50 grams sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 160 grams ground almonds
- 140 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 20 grams flaked almonds optional
- Slice the rhubarb into large chunks and place into a deep baking tray. Sprinkle the 50 grams of sugar over and cover with tinfoil.
- Bake at 180°c (360°f) for 10 minutes until barely softened.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and remove tin foil. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, ground almonds, sugar, baking powder and almond essence. Whisk together until a smooth batter has been formed.
- Add half the rhubarb to the cake batter and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Pour into a greased and lined baking tin.
- Sprinkle the rest of the rhubarb over the batter, along with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 170°c (340°f) or 160°c (320°c) if fan assisted or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
KEYWORDS: Almond Sponge Recipe, Dairy Free Almond Cake Recipe, Easy Almond Cake Recipe, Gluten Free Almond Cake Recipe, Gluten Free Dessert, Rhubarb Almond, Roast Rhubarb Dessert
Hi! I’m Rosie, or Pink Haired Pastry Chef and as the name hints, I am a pastry chef with Pink Hair! I have been working as a pastry chef for the past 9-10 years professionally including some well known establishments such as Queen of Tarts, The Church Restaurant and Ard Bia in Galway. I also have a degree from DIT (now TU) in Baking and Pastry Arts Management. During the pandemic I pivoted towards food blogging, photography, and online recipe development. I find true joy in creating beautiful desserts and baked goods and sharing them with the world. I love helping home cooks achieve the same results at home.