This Radicchio & Grilled Fig Salad Recipe with Nut Balls is from Vegan in 7.
Radicchio is a gorgeous red salad leaf with quite a bitter taste, so it needs some balance from salty, sweet flavours and creamy tones.
The ingredients in this salad provide just that, making it a perfect and very moreish autumn dish.
– 180g vegan ‘cream cheese’
– 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
– 100g walnuts, very finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
– 8 ripe figs, halved
– 1 head of radicchio, shredded
– 75g rocket
1. Combine the vegan cream cheese in a bowl with garlic, salt and a good amount of freshly ground black pepper.
2. Spread the finely chopped walnuts out on a plate. With slightly damp hands, take about a teaspoon of the almond mixture and form a little ball, then roll it in the walnuts.
3. Repeat until all the mixture is used, then set aside. You can make the balls ahead of time and store them in the fridge, if you wish.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the white balsamic vinegar and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Preheat a grill pan over a high heat and lightly brush the halved figs with a little oil. When the grill pan is hot, place the fig halves on it, cut-side down.
6. After 30 seconds, carefully lift the first fig you put in the pan. If there are grill marks on it, turn it over; if not, wait a bit longer.
7. After all are turned and cooked, remove them from the pan, using tongs, and set aside. To serve, layer the radicchio and rocket, place the almond and walnut balls and roasted figs on top and spoon over a little dressing.
8. Variation If you want to make this salad oil-free, brush the figs with a little maple syrup instead of oil and omit the oil from the dressing.
Healthy vegan recipes with 7 ingredients or fewer; can it be true? Yes! Being a vegan can be easy, fun and totally delicious.
With more than 20 years’ experience in plant-based cooking, Rita Serano shows how cooking vegan doesn’t have to be complicated. She offers nourishing and delicious recipes with not a single fake overprocessed vegan burger in sight.
Vegan in 7 contains many delicious recipes that are vegan, refined sugar free and low fat.
Recipes taken from Vegan in 7 by Rita Serano. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Laura Edwards.