Ultimate Buckwheat Pumpkin Spice Granola with Boozy Cranberries Recipe from The Food DNA
This recipe will make you fall in love with Autumn. It will fill your house with a festive warm aroma of rich spicy pumpkin pie and is for sure a perfect seasonal treat.
This granola is crunchy, satisfying and delicious, filled with scrumptious baked apples, toasted nuts and caramelised maple & blackcurrant infused cranberries. Breakfast with this granola is loaded with protein, fibre and healthy fats and will keep you satisfied for hours.
– 200g oats (use gluten-free oats if you want to make gluten-free granola)
– 200g raw buckwheat groats
– 150-200g pureed roasted pumpkin
– 40g coconut oil
– 5 tbsp maple syrup *for granola (add more if you like it sweeter) + 5 tbsp for cranberries
– 2-3 handfuls of nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts)
– 4 tsp cinnamon + extra for baked apples and pumpkin
– 1 tsp nutmeg + extra for pumpkin
– 1 tsp ginger + extra for pumpkin
– 1 tsp cardamom + extra for pumpkin
– ⅓-½ tsp sea salt
– ⅔ cup of frozen cranberries
– 2 Gala apples
– 5tbsp blackcurrant liquor/syrup
*can replace with store-bought dried apple – just cheaper and tastier will be to make those in your kitchen
1. Cut apples in 1-2 cm pieces, sprinkle with cinnamon.
2. Bake in the over at 180°C for 15-20 mins mixing around until baked evenly, but still soft.
Maple syrup and blackcurrant liquor infused cranberries
*these can be replaced with store-bought dried cranberries
1. Add cranberries in a pot, add maple syrup.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cranberries soften.
3. Add blackcurrant liquor and cook cranberries until caramelised.
1. Cut pumpkin in pieces, sprinkle with a pumpkin spice mix (or just cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger) and bake in the oven at 180°C for 30 mins (or until soft) – purée with blender.
1. In a bowl mix oats, buckwheat groats and nuts.
2. Mix in spices, vanilla and salt with pureed pumpkin, maple syrup and melted coconut oil.
3. Mix everything – make sure all the dry ingredients are covered with maple syrup and coconut oil mixture.
4. Line a baking tray with a baking paper; scoop the mixture on the tray in an even layer.
5. Bake at 180-190°C for 15 mins until golden, bake another 20 mins stirring from time to time.
*You can start baking granola and apples at the same time just on different trays in the oven. Take apples out of the oven after 15-20 mins.
6. Mix everything together (granola, apples, cranberries) – bake for remaining 5-10 minutes.
7. Wait until granola cools down.
Store granola in an air tight container for up to 10 days. Have it with milk, yoghurt or smoothies in the morning or sprinkle on your favourite dessert. Enjoy!
With background in clinical nutrition and pharmaceutical sciences Jelena is a self-proclaimed foodie. She combines love and passion for cooking with unique skill of being able to create dishes that taste great and are of a high nutritional value, making sure you eat the best when you do.
Her kitchen is the food lab full of soul and passion where she happily spends hours experimenting. Her recipe collection is like a treasure chest that has something for each and every one.