Pumpkin Pie Recipe From Blazing Salads
Pumpkin pie is not just for Halloween or Thanksgiving. It’s great for the Autumn and Winter seasons when pumpkins are in abundance.
– 150g organic fine oatflakes
– 80g brown rice flour
– 60g sunflower seeds, blended fine
– 80g organic fine oatflakes, blended fine
– 100 ml sunflower oil
– 100 ml 100% maple syrup
– 950g pumpkin
– 2 free range eggs
– ½ teaspoon cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon mixed spice
– 70 ml 100% maple syrup
Oven; Gas °5, 190°C, 375°F
Oil a 29cm x 10cm rectangular cake tin. Or a 23cm round tin.
1. Preheat the oven. Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and dice into
pieces and place on an oven tray. Cook in a preheated oven on the top shelf for 20 minutes, until soft. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl mix the oat flakes, rice flour and blended sunflower seeds, and blended oatflakes. Stir in the sunflower oil and the maple syrup and mix well. Add 1 tablespoons of water to bring the ingredients together. Dampen your fingers with water and press the mixture firmly into the oiled cake tin, bringing it evenly up the sides of the tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Set aside.
3. Place the roasted pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, mixed spice and maple syrup into a food processor and blend until all the ingredients are smooth and creamy. Pour into the pre baked pie case. Return to the oven and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes, or until set.
4. Tip; When blending the seeds and oat flakes place in a food processor or coffee grinder and blend until fine.
5. Tip; The best pumpkins to use are Portimarron. They have a lovely deep colour and firm texture and are very nutritious. The big pumpkins in our shops at Hallow e’en are best used for decoration as their texture is too soft and spongey.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com