Plum and Almond Cake Recipe by Madeline Shaw
Plump and juicy, plums can spice up any porridge or pudding with the chop of a knife. Almonds and plums go really well together, and this cake recipe is perfect for teatime with your mum or your friends!
– 175g coconut oil or butter, plus extra for greasing
– 175g coconut sugar
– 3 eggs
– Grated zest of 1 orange
– 300g ground almonds
– 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
– ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
– 300g plums
– 2 tbsp toasted desiccated coconut, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
2. Cream the coconut oil and sugar together in a food processor.
3. Add the eggs one by one, mixing well each time, and stir in the orange zest.
4. In a bowl, mix the ground almonds, baking powder, bicarb and vanilla seeds together. Then pour this into the wet mixture and process.
5. Stone the plums and slice into eighths.
6. Grease a 24cm cake tin. Pour in a third of the batter, then place a third of the plums on top.
7. Repeat again with another third of the cake mixture and a third of the plums.
8. Finally, pour in the rest of the cake mixture followed by the last of the plums.
9. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes until cooked through and a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
10. Sprinkle over the toasted coconut while the cake is still warm, and serve.
11. This keeps for 3 days in an airtight container and goes really well with yogurt and a grating of chocolate.
Visit Madeline’s blog, madeleineshaw.com
Madeleine Shaw’s A YEAR OF BEAUTIFUL EATING is published by Trapeze in hardback & eBook.