Perfect Poached Eggs Recipe by Jette Virdi
Follow my simple steps for a perfectly poached eggs every time! I served the poached eggs with roasted spring greens; I used purple sprouting broccoli, asparagus and baby turnips, which are gorgeously sweet when roasted. A perfect dish for brunch, or a light Spring or Summer meal.
1. Fresh eggs! This is really important as the fresher the egg the better the poach
2. Boiling water and vinegar: Bring your water up to a boil and then keep it on a simmer, pour in a little vinegar which will help to keep the egg white together.
3. Give the water a swirl to create a little whirlpool and pour your egg that you’ve cracked into the cup into the whirlpool
4. Make sure the water is at a rolling simmer, not boil!
5. Break the egg into a cup; again, this helps contain the egg. Gently pour the egg into the water
6. Depending on how big the egg is, a soft poached egg should take about 40-59 secs. Check that the white is solid rather than runny and remove, give it a little jiggle to do this out if the water.
Roasted Spring greens:
– Season the vegetables with camelina oil, salt and pepper and place in a pre-heated oven at 180C whilst you’re poaching your eggs.
Serve the roasted vegetables together with the poached egg, and enjoy!
For more exclusive Jette Virdi videos for TheTaste check out TheTaste Foodie TV.
Jette Virdi is a Dublin-based food stylist and creative entrepreneur. With a portfolio including clients such as Rozanna Purcell, Rachel Allen and Bord Bia, she’s your girl if you need an evocative image or event. Well known within the food industry, she consults with Irish brands to create and style recipes, to design and manage product launches and and hosts creative corporate workshops that boost productivity and team performance in the workplace. For more information and to contact Jette for a project go to jettevirdi.com.
For more recipes visit her blog.