This is a stunning dish, Pan Seared Scallops, Purple Cauliflower & Smoked Bacon Recipe From Armada Hotel by Executive Chef Peter Jackson. Here you can appreciate the confidence and respect for real fresh , good quality Irish seafood at The Armada and their executive chef. The perfect balance of flavours and excellent techniques to preserve the delicious flavours and freshness of each ingredient. A beautiful dish to impress anyone at the dinner table.
Pan seared scallops, purple cauliflower & smoked bacon
Serves 4 people
– 8 large king scallops (or 12 smaller size)
– 1 head purple cauliflower
– 100g good smoked bacon cut into lardons
– 100g cold butter cubed
– 100 ml cream
– Salt & pepper
1. Remove Coral (the orange part) from the Scallop meat and the little white stump at the back ( as
this will make the scallop rubbery when cooking).
2. Place these on a dry piece of kitchen paper to absorb any excess water that they may be holding.
For the puree
1. Prepare the florets of cauliflower, keep back a small few for later on, place the cauliflower into a pot
of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes until they soft to the touch.
2. Remove from the water and place in a food processor with 75g of butter and the 100ml cream, check the puree for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
Cooking the scallops
1. Heat a good heavy based frying pan until it is very hot ( this is important as we need to caramelize
the meat) do not add any oil or butter to your pan at this stage!
2. Place the scallop into the pan making sure that there is space between each scallop. Leave to caramelize in the pan, don’t be tempted to turn or do not season at this stage.
3. When there is good colour on the scallop quickly turn all.
4. At this stage we can add the remaining 25g butter and season.
5. Remove the scallops from the pan and let them rest.
6. With the juice and the butter still in the pan it is now time to add the smoked bacon and cook out over a medium heat, when the bacon pieces are looking cooked and have some colour add the remainder of the cauliflower and cook for about a minute.
7. The dish is ready to serve, place the puree first on the plate, next add small spoonful’s of the bacon
and cauliflower, place the scallops on the puree and dress with some of the exquisite pan juices. Enjoy!
Watch the seagulls dance and dive from a window table as you experience the delights that the Pearl Restaurant by Executive Chef Peter Jackson and his team at The Armada Hotel in Clare has to offer. Spanish Point in Co Clare epitomises what the Wild Atlantic Way is all about – vast skies over breathtaking Atlantic views, salt breezes whetting the appetite for an abundance of local seafood, walking the nearby Cliffs of Moher or a short spin to the Burren or Loop Head. Luxury – breathtaking bedroom views; or dining in The Ocean Bar, Johnny Burkes Bar or The Pearl Restaurant; the sensory delights of the freshest seafood paired with locally sourced vegetables and our own homemade pantry products. Experience the best in West Clare Tastes at the Pearl Restaurant, combining the utmost in atmosphere, ambience and taste, whether you’re enjoying a family gathering, a private party or dinner for two.