Pan-Fried Scallops with Fried Egg, Brioche, Mushrooms and Beurre Blanc Recipe by Peter Clifford
This is an excellent way to prepare pan-fry scallops with ingredients that will match and highlight their delicate taste.
For the Beurre Blanc
– 1 shallot, finely chopped
– 50 ml white wine vinegar
– 50 ml white wine
– 50 ml water
– 120 g cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
For the Brioche, Mushrooms, Eggs and Scallops
– 1 slice brioche, diced into croutons
– 100 g wild mushrooms
– 30 g butter
– 10 ml sunflower oil
– 2 free-range eggs
– 6 fresh scallops with coral removed
– 10 ml olive oil
– 10 ml
– 1 lemon
Make the beurre blanc
1. Place the shallot, vinegar, wine and water into a saucepan over moderate heat. Reduce until almost no liquid remains.
2. Turn the heat down to a low setting, and whisk in the butter one piece at a time, allowing each piece to melt before adding the next. It is a good idea to occasionally take the pan away from the heat for a few seconds now and then to let it cool a little.
3. Once all the butter has been used, the sauce should be pale and have a thin, custard-like consistency. Keep warm.
Prepare the Brioche, Mushrooms, Eggs and Scallops
1. Crisp the brioche croutons under a moderate grill until golden-brown all over. Remove from oven and place in an airtight container until required.
2. Sauté the mushrooms with 10 grams of the butter in a moderate-to-hot pan for 1 minute. Season with salt and keep warm.
3. Heat the sunflower oil in a moderate pan and gently fry the eggs until white is fully set.
4. Season the scallops with salt and cook in a very hot pan with the olive oil for 40 seconds on one side and then add the butter and cook for a further 20 seconds or until they turn nut brown.
5. Then add the lemon juice, turn the scallops and remove them from the heat immediately to finish cooking on the residual heat.
6. To serve, place the egg in the middle of a warm plate and place three scallops around it. Evenly scatter the mushrooms around and place the brioche croutons on top. Drizzle with sauce.